The work on Rolighedsvej 23 is part of Dissing+Weitling’s framework agreement for technical advice for the University of Copenhagen.
- Copenhagen, Denmark
- Cultural Heritage
- 2018 - 2020
- University of Copenhagen
Rolighedsvej 23 was listed in 1959, and the listing includes the main wing and three cross-wings to the north. Dissing+Weitling worked together with the University of Copenhagen and the Danish Agency for Culture and Palaces to renovate the buildings as carefully as possible and to ensure that all the conservation orders are complied with.
Moreover, the renovation took place while the building was still being used by both students and staff at the University of Copenhagen.
The large, yellow, Italian-styled brick building at Rolighedsvej 23 was built back in 1857-59 and designed by the architect H.C. Stilling. It has seen many uses over its long life, first as Københavns Sygehjem, and since as the Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management – the former Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University (KVL) - under the University of Copenhagen. Today the building is owned by the Danish Building and Property Agency.
Several important building components besides the 1600 square metres roof covering needed replacing, including roof windows and skylights. Originally, the upper storey was used as a drying loft and for storage, but later it was converted for teaching, and roof windows and skylights were fitted to let in daylight. The windows were leaky and outdated, so the architects looked for suitable new windows that meet today’s demands for energy optimisation and comfort, and which match the building’s aesthetics.
All of the details and materials was carefully considered, selected and fitted in close collaboration with the Agency for Culture and Palaces